Re: Replication DB

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:26:46 -0700

This is not really the sort of question that can be answered through a newsgroup. After all, the training for setting up replication takes 5 days. However, in a nutshell replication is used for one of a couple of reasons:

  1. Site failover - the master database fails, but the replicated database remains available on another machine
  2. Data offloading - the performance of remote queries is not acceptable due to bandwidth problems, so move the data locally
  3. Data subsetting - users at branch offices only need a subset of the data that users at headquarters need
  4. Mobile computing - sales people need to take information with them on laptops that aren't connected to the database.

That should give you some ideas for questions 1 and 3. Question 2 is answered in 5 days at the training, so I can't really summarize it here. Besides the setup requirements are determined by the business requirements, and you haven't mentioned those.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA