Re: EMC SRDF or Advanced Replication????

From: <chiuljnk_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:24:52 GMT

Pete, Steve,

Just to add another question to this thread regarding EMC's SRDF and synchronous mode of operation for Oracle databases...

After referring to the SRDF documentation and based on my understanding of Oracle concepts, I believe that it is possible to run R1 and R2 in semi- synchronous mode of operation for the volumes that contain Oracle datafiles and archive logs. For other volumes, synchronous mode of operation is required. Do you agree with this?

My reasoning for this is that for datafiles (semi-synchronous), they can be recovered from online redo logs (synchronous). If a write-pending is not propagated to R2, the header for the datafile would reflect a prior state and the online redo log would be used to update the header on recovery. For archive logs (semi-synchronous), if a write-pending is not propagated to R2, the archive log is incomplete. But the archive log is simply a copy of an online redo log, so this does not cause data loss.

Please let me know if I am on the right track or not. Thanks.

I am against using synchronous mode of operation for all volumes because of the performance penalty.

Regards,
Larry Chiu
chiuljnk_at_my-dejanews.com
---