Re: submitting a dbms_job request on behalf of a different user

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:48:51 GMT

A copy of this was sent to sybrandb_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:01:51 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi folks,Guess that this is one of the time I need help. This is Oracle
>7.3.4 on SolarisSituation is: In a procedure, which I don't own, we are
>checking whether a certain job is running. If the job isn't running, it is
>submitted by this procedure. In this specific case it will be useless if the
>job doesn't run as the owner of the procedure. The job deletes rows from a
>table, and simply noone has direct delete privileges. In order to test it, I

you should create a procedure as the owner of the table. grant execute on that procedure to others. have others submit that procedure to be executed.

procedures (pre Oracle8i) always run with definers rights. In 8i, you get to pick invokers or definers rights. The procedures are not just disappearing (if a procedure exits successfully -- then it is removed from the queue if you did not specify a 'next date' when you submitted it). they are running successfully but not doing what you believe they should.

>deliberately removed the current job, and I ran the procedure using my own
>account. The results were unexpected:- log_user, schema_user and priv_user
>where all set to my account-a few seconds later the job seemed to have
>disappeared at all. It was not broken, it simply vanished.I could make sure
>a similar procedure is run at database start, but then I still need to do
>this 'on behalf of', otherwise I will end up having a script with hard-coded
>username password combo's.It seems I have run into a 'feature', or out of
>ideas/trics.Is there any solution, which won't require upgrading to the next
>version?Any comments are appreciated.Best regards,Sybrand Bakker, Oracle
>DBA

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Apr 20 1999 - 10:48:51 CDT