Re: Fighting Words? Shared Pool Size

From: Ross Mohan <postmaster_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 02:07:52 -0400

>cursor_space_for_time will nearly always end up with a large shared
>pool.

|| I guess i was making the point that the pool was fixed, and too large.

    and that CSFT wasn't helping things by forcing additional pool mgmt

 As to what defines a large shared pool depends heavily on the
>number of applications that the instance has to support. After sizing
>exercises, I've ended up with Shared Pools ranging from about 20Mb's
>upto about 400Mb's. Both were about the correct size for the job they
>were being asked to perform.

|| Number of apps and users, plus considerations of pinning, reuse, bindvars

    versus not. I haven't ever seen the need ( up to, say, about 500 concurrent, busy

    thin-client users, multiple apps ) to have a pool larger than 150MB. On your

    machine with the 400MB pool, how many users did you have, and was it     something like an AR/AP or GL setup?

>I think the important thing is that you don't see to much stealing of
>space from one object class (library cache, dictionary cache, sql area)
>to fund another. Keep an eye on the v$sgastat output over the course of
>time.

|| This is interesting. Have you experimented at all with monitoring space

    swapping between namespaces in the lib cache, and did you see anything     there? Thinking about this will be useful, i believe....thanks for     the thoughts Andrew Received on Tue Apr 20 1999 - 01:07:52 CDT