Disk I/O on Oracle redo logs

From: Tom Lewis <telewis_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:21:03 GMT

I have an Oracle 8.0.5 database where the datafiles resides on an 8 disk RAID and the log files on a separate single disk. The application loads several million records into a number of tables (with no constraints) and then a PL/SQL cursor is used to copy the data into a relational model, via a select/insert process, to identify constraint violations. During large data loads and the cursor select/insert process, disk I/O on the log files seems to be the performance-limiting factor.

Would putting the log files on the RAID help performance, which is more important than resilience in this application? Also, does log file size affect performance (currently in “noarchivelog” mode to avoid further I/O problems but should start archiving in the future)?

Any ideas gratefully received.

--

Tom Lewis