Re: Help: how to setup an oracle designer/2000 user

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:56:02 +0200

If I understand correctly, you do not have all the rights needed to see the users, hence your
users do not show up.

Caobin Zhu wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
> Please help. How to add a designer/2000 repository user? When
> I used the adminstration utilty try to add an orcle user, it does not
> show up their names at all?

I create the designer owner role which, in addition to all grants explained in the installation
manual, has the following:

GRANT SELECT ON SYS.DBA_ROLES         TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;
GRANT SELECT ON SYS.DBA_ROLE_PRIVS    TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;
GRANT SELECT ON SYS.ROLE_ROLE_PRIVS   TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;
GRANT SELECT ON SYS.DBA_SYS_PRIVS     TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;
GRANT SELECT ON SYS.DBA_ROLLBACK_SEGS TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;
GRANT SELECT ON SYS.DBA_SEGMENTS      TO DES2K_OWNER_ROLE;

> How to relate the oracle user to designer/2000 user?

Oracle user should be created, the you can grant access to the repository.
Designer has a (limited) interal security schema, that distincts between users and managers. Users cannot do anything at application level, like create, export, change preferences (at that level), etc. Managers do. So you will need al least one 'Manager', and even tho the repository owner is that by default, I always advice to keep the repository owner just as that, and create at least one "power-user" with manager's role.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV

Work                           Home
Postbus 545                    Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede               7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                (31)74.242.5046