Re: DBMS_ALERT: I am flappergastered!!!

From: Lars Bo Vanting <Lars.Vanting_at_ex.siemens-sbs.ch>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:14:53 +0200

Hi!

Not knowing exactly what you'll use DBMS_ALERT for, I cannot suggest the best path to follow, but as you mention that you use 8.0.5, I would consider Advanced Queuing where there are a lot of nice features READY to use. I've used AQ on 8.0.5 since August 1998 as basis for a small job system (execute misc. jobs on remote databases from one central DB) and it works quite well.

Notice that you might need the "Objects Option" licensed (depending on what kind of message payload you'll use) + set the INIT.ORA parameter AQ_TIMER_PROCESSES=1 etc.

There are a couple of open bugs concerning AQ in 8.0.5 (the most anoying to me concerns dropping AQ objects), but you can get around them... It really depends on your needs what solution you choose, I used DBMS_ALERT before to accomplish the same task, but now I have a more flexible and secure system (AQ objects/queues are just normal tables which can be backed up etc.).

Hope you get it working, good luck!

Kind regards

Lars Bo
--
Lars Bo Vanting
COREBIT SYAP/TPI AG, Switzerland Received on Mon Apr 19 1999 - 09:14:53 CDT