Tuxedo Ap Server crushing Oracle Server?

From: Ron Denham <ronnied_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:13:28 -0400

My company just upgraded to PeopleSoft Financials 7.0 from PeopleSoft 5 and we are trying to us the Tuxedo application server with PeopleSoft. We are a very established PeopleSoft shop with a very demanding user base.

We currently have a HP K570 with 2GB RAM and 6 processors as the Oracle 7.3.4 database server and a HP K570 with 2GB RAM as the Tuxedo v6 middle tier app server. About 150 concurrent users use PeopleSoft (now coming in via 40 app server connections to the database) and we have another 100 to 120 that come into the same instance as part of other financial related systems.

Prior to the upgrade, with all 270 (PS & non PS) users coming in 2-tier, the K570 box handled this fine with peaks of 70% utilization.

After the upgrade, we now have 100% utilization on the database server all day long. My top 30 CPU users in the database are all Tuxedo connections. The system is very sluggish as a result.

It looks like the database server is in panic mode trying to service the 40 app server connections, which all seem to be dropping requests to the database in parallel. Previously, we had more connections in the database but the connection requests were more serial in nature... so my theory is that the system formerly did not have to juggle so many parallel requests. Also my theory is that Tuxedo does a very good job of splitting up requests across the connections it establishes.

My question is... Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is my only alternative to go back to 2-Tier mode or to buy a V Series HP box with 24 processors?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ronnied_at_mindspring.com Received on Sun Apr 18 1999 - 17:13:28 CDT