Re: when do I use multiple instances ?

From: Nick England <Nick.England_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:51:12 +0100

Nikko,

First Oracle is very specific about its use of the word's instance and database.

Using one set of Oracle executables (installation), you can create any number databases (limited only by the system's memory and disk), these are identified uniquely by the Oracle 'sid'.

An instance is a term used when discussing Oracle Parallel server, in this case a single database (held on a shared disk layout) can be accessed by other nodes in a cluster (UNIX, Vax or otherwise) where the disk is shared and the memory/cpu are independent. In this case, you would have one instance/node connecting to the single, shared database.

Parallel server is used for scalability and resiliency and is limited to clusters and MPP boxes.

Hope this helps

Nick