Re: Importing database with LONG colum

From: Nick England <Nick.England_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:13:10 +0100

You might, depending upon the number of indexes being processed, wish to split the import into two stages; do an import INDEXES=N, then do an import INDEXFILE=filename. This produces an executable file to build the indexes. Run this against the DB after the import.

This can reduce the overall import process significantly, because and import FULL=Y will build the tables and indexes and then load the data. This causes the index to be populated as the data loads. As the index grows in size, it dynamically balances (b-tree indexes) this causes large I/O which has nothing to do with the data load.

Obviously, there are reasons for your dumping the export directly to tape. However, if you can you should dump to tape first, even running through compression first would be quicker than to tape (depending upon the o/s).

best of luck

Nick