Re: ---SQL Tunning Question

From: v tsien <vtsien_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:42:01 -0500

  1. Do a statistics first
  2. Test the query with sqlplus first and find out the initial response time and access path by using set timing on and set autotrace on
  3. Check if the join uses indexes or tablespace scan, if not how many indexes each table is using and if it is feasible to add an index (it is a balance work).
  4. find out how large the tables are
  5. check the pattern of the table update and inserts and find out if the pctfree and pctused can be changed can be best met for the business requirement.
  6. Check if the initial extent can hold all the data to reduce the io
  7. Check if there is index tablespace scan in addition to tablespace scan, if so either avoid index tablespace scan or if the data is mininum move the data into index and do index only
  8. If table scan is neccesary, change the parameters in initsid.ora to enable multi_block_read
  9. If memory is not enough, add memory.
  10. If the tables are small and immediate response is required, move teh tables into the memory.