Re: Top 5 responsibilities of a DBA

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:15:41 -0700

Harry Boswell wrote:

> What are the top 5 responsibilities of a DBA?
I'm tempted to say backups, backups, backups, backups & backups but all joking aside (tho' I hope I've made my point about the importance of backups -- I can't imagine a quicker way to get fired as a DBA than to lose data!) I would say you first must get an Oracle system installed, up & running & secured so (roughly in the order you would do things in a new Oracle environment):

  1. Installing, upgrading, patching & configuring Oracle software (RDBMS & related products)
  2. Creating/upgrading databases of appropriate size & configuration
  3. Making sound provisions for backups, including a program of regular exports (& *testing* your backups with staged recoveries!)
  4. Creating a secure RDBMS environment, meaning proper management of accounts, privileges, roles & db links. (The 2nd quick way to get fired, or at least reprimanded, is to let people access data they aren't supposed to)
  5. Tuning applications (once the system is up & running you soon find that slow queries, etc. rapidly move to the top of the list.)