Oracle and VB for unattended processing

From: <charlesm1_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:30:41 GMT

I tried posting this to a VB group, but so far no luck, so maybe someone here knows how to do this:

We have a Visual Basic application (VB5 using MS' OBDC driver) running on NT that we use for unattended processing on an Oracle database. the connect string has the drivernoprompt type option set and the project is set up as an "unattended execution" type, which is supposed to prevent any error messages or dialog boxes (any GUI stuff) from appearing. I say supposed to, because if there is a problem with the database (DB down, bad UN/PW) we always get a login prompt. Nothing we try seems to stop it from appearing. Since this is unattended, we want to trap the error and continue. But, even with everything set up to trap an error, we still get the %^** login prompt box first -- and someone would have to click it before an error exception is tripped. Under no circumstances should there ever be any GUI generated in this program, and we obviously cannot do unattended processing with a dialog box popping up.

So, under the belief that someone has done VB to Oracle unattended processing and has hit this same problem (I've got to think enough people are doing this that someone would have hit it), does anyone know how to get around it? (By the way, VB was customer required, so moving to C, etc is not an option for us). Thanks.