Re: Oracle invented the RDBMS?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:40:20 -0700

Actually, Larry didn't really found it. If you want the early history, it basically runs like this:

In August of 1977, Bob Miner, Edward Oates and Bruce Scott shared a common business vision and developed a small contract programming group called Software Development Labs (SDL). Although Larry was hired soon after, he is generally considered one of the founders of the company.

They visited an IBM research facility, and reviewed a technical publication which described a method of data management called a 'relational database.' Titled "System R4 Relational," written by Dr. E.F. Codd, the technical paper described the concepts which SQL and RDBMS were later founded upon.

SDL expanded and by 1979, the office in Santa Clara moved into two buildings on Sandhill Road in Menlo Park and re-named the group to Relational Software, Incorporated (RSI). RSI delivered ORACLE V.2, built using Structured Query Language (SQL).

Up until this time, Robert Miner was Chief Executive Officer. Employee Lawrence J. Ellison worked for Bob Miner at a previous job, and had joined the three founders after they were established. They decided LJE should be in charge of overall operations. Bob then worked for LJE for 16 years.

Lawrence J. Ellison took over the role of President and Chief Executive officer. By 1983, a software competitor called RTI was causing confusion with RSI. To distinguish itself and its primary product, RSI was renamed to "Oracle Corporation." At this time, the corporation delivered ORACLE V3.

And the rest, as they say, is history ...

Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA