Re: Different languages in one server/app

From: <oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:29:51 GMT

In article <7f41gf$ali$3_at_orudios.magnet.at>,   "Bernd Maierhofer" <BerndM_at_dato.at> wrote:

> I am trying to gather some information, so any input is highly welcome.
> Thank you!
> We are developing an application which has this requirement:
> -one sqlserver (oracle 8.x)
> -supporting different languages at the same time
> So the user needs a grid or several TDBEdits and enters in the first one
> some words in spanisch, in the next some in french, german, english...And it
> should be possible to use the local characters!
> Two questions:
>
> How can I achive this (on the client, on the server)?
>
> Bernd Maierhofer - dato Denkwerkzeuge
> EDV-Projekte & Consulting

Bernd,

on the server side you need to configure Oracle for Unicode UTF-8

</quote>

The character set name for UTF-8 is AL24UTFFSS for UNICODE Version 1.1 and UTF8 for UNICODE Version 2.0.

Conversion between UTF-8 and other existing character sets is provided in this release of Oracle Server.

Conversion between UTF-8 and single-byte character sets is performed through an internal number matching mechanism; conversion between UTF-8 and multi-byte character sets is performed with conversion functions and tables.

You should be aware that UTF8 is now officially supported as a new character set. Since UTF8 is the UTF-8 encoding for UNICODE Version 2.0, it is recommended for use in UNICODE support. The encoding scheme of UTF8 is very similar to some existing character sets, thus no major impact on existing products is expected.

Note: UNICODE no longer supports the encoding scheme UTF-2. UTF-8 replaces UTF-2. </quote>

On the client you need an operating system which supports Unicode - if you're using Windows, that would be NT4 or higher ( when available ;-) ) with a development tool that supports Unicode. Here Powerbuilder 6.5 from Sybase springs to mind - the Unicode version has just gone on General Availability.

HTH --
Oliver Willandsen
Europäische Kommission - http://europa.eu.int

Alle Kommentare spiegeln ausschliesslich meine eigene Meinung wieder und können unter keinen Umständen als eine offizielle Stellungnahme der Europäischen Kommission aufgefasst werden

Internet Fiesta - http://www.internet-fiesta.org

Einrichtungen der Europäischen Union - http://www.europa.eu.int/inst-de.htm