Re: Oracle8 on Linux ok?

From: Dmitri Blinov <Dmitri_Blinov_at_dialogbank.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:57:11 +0400

> >I would never choose linux for a mission critical app.
>
> Any experience ? Give facts !

It was found that Linux does not have raw devices. It means Oracle server can not guarntee that commited transactions will ever be written on disk. Futhermore, it was found that Oracle server does not use O_SYNC flag when opening redo logs. Of cource, it's not Linux problem, but initial statement about mission critical app have serious argument.

> I've been running busy Linux servers for 1 year and a half (6
> servers). None of them crashed. About Oracle, I've crash tested an Oracle
> 8 server on linux 2.2. During 1 week (24 hours a day), I've been running
> large queries on a 500 Mb database. Oracle never crashed, no datas
> corruptions ... I can't give perfomance measurements because I never used
> Oracle seriously on other plateforms, but my impression was positive.
>

> >FreeBSD - Free - www.freebsd.org
> >NetBSD - Free - www.netbsd.org
> >OpenBSD - Free - www.openbsd.org
> >

> Can't you read the name of the newsgroup ? This guy wants to run
> Oracle. Where is Oracle for *BSD ?

You can run Oracle for SCO or Linux. Some people said it runs quicker on FreeBSD than on original OS. Of cource you loose tech support.

Dmitry. Received on Thu Apr 15 1999 - 00:57:11 CDT