Re: Help ...on Index column problem

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:49:16 -0500

Absolutly true!

Don't forget the great resource Oracle makes available for this kind of analysis: the V$SQLAREA view.

For every SQL statement in the cache, this view reveals: the number of times this statement has executed, the number of buffer gets,
the number of disk reads,
the number of rows processed,
and whether ot not Sort Happened.

CPU usage is proportional to buffer gets.

High buffer gets per row processed indicates the use of a Bad Index (not selective for the actual where clause). Explain Plan these cases and you will see.

High rows per execution with low disk reads per execution indicates good buffer hit ratio; BUT, why do you keep reading the same rows over and over?