Re: Tablespace information from export file (NT)

From: <mjain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:02:21 GMT

Just a small addendum to add my thoughts..

As suggested by Charles the import can very well create the tablesapces and the datafiles.

Small caveats:-
1. This should work fine if the directories in which the datafiles reside are present. Otherwise the tablespace creation may result in an error and subsequent export will run into errors.

2. If the operating system of the source database has a different

   file and naming conventions than destination database then the    directory and filenames will not be valid, and so during import    process the tablespace creation may fail.

   For example suppose source database is on UNIX and the destination    database is Windows NT then the directory and file naming changes.    So a valid filename "/usr/oracle/datafile01.dbf" in Unix when    used during import on NT will give an error as the filename    is not a valid filename.

   I guess you got the idea..

3. If you are creating the database on the same machine on which

   the source database exists and you want to create a brand new    database on the same database server machine and want to keep    the source also, then we should have different filenames than    source database as source and destination databases should have    different filename on the same box.

I just wanted to add my comments to the discussion to assist you further.

Whatever Charles has mentioned is fine, but you should also consider your situation.

hope this helps,

Manoj Jain
Oracle Certified Professional OCP DBA Oracle7 & Oracle8

Email: m_jain_at_go.com