Re: Oracle invented the RDBMS?

From: Art S. Kagel <kagel_at_bloomberg.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:36:47 -0400

markp7832_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <7HVQ2.142$Zc7.1159_at_nswpull.telstra.net>,
> "Moogle" <martin_moogle_guardian_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > In the Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Data Sheet, dated February 1999.
> > Page 2, second line states : "Oracle, having invented the relational
> > database, ..."
> >
> > Were they hoping no one would read that part?
> >

> Looks like poor proof reading. I believe that Oracle was the first
> commercial version of an rdbms released on the market, but Dr. Codd invented
> relational database theory along with his relational algebra definition. I
> think there was a non-commercial rdbms released before Oracle. Maybe

The first implementation of a relational database was by Grumman it was a FORTRAN implementation call RIM (Relational Imformation Manager) the RIM code was released into Public Domain and later became the base code/feature set for Rbase. The next, chronologically and overlapping development, was the original Ingres project by Dr. Stonebraker et al at Stamford. That prompted a flood of commercial database systems all becoming active during the period 1979-1981 including Oracle, Informix, Ingres (commercial), DB2, Unify, and others. Oracle, Ingres and Informix can all make valid claims to being first depending on how one defines 'first'. I usually credit Ingres myself since the commercial product was initially not substantially different from the university release.

Art S. Kagel Received on Wed Apr 14 1999 - 10:36:47 CDT