Re: Writing own WebServer for PL/SQL Execution

From: <charlie.elgholm_at_afs.skandia.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:43:40 GMT

In article <36F809E2.17E82904_at_non-hp-usa-om46.om.hp.com>,   michael_rothwell_at_non-hp-usa-om46.om.hp.com wrote:
> charlie.elgholm_at_afs.skandia.se wrote:
> >
> > Hi! We're writing our own Application Server with a Web-interface for
> > executing stored procedures (a.k.a PL/SQL) for the Windows NT environment.
> > The difference between our than Oracle's it that ours will work when we're
> > done. Is there anyone out there that are doing this or have had the same
kind
> > of plans? Maybe we could swap some ideas.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > /Charlie Elgholm - AFS IT Consulting
>
> Could you be a little more vague?? What's wrong with Oracle's App Server?
> It's been working fine for me.

Ofcourse I can be more vague, I'm a swede.. =) No, but seriously, OAS for Windows NT just is too buggy. It hangs at randomized times so you'll have to restart it and sometimes it just refuses to start and screams about CORBA:COM Errors all over the place.. Especially from "oassrv" which in one of our COMPAQ proliant servers ALWAYS hangs as soon as I start the listeners and cartridges.. There's just too much things going on inside the OAS for it to work on a Windows NT machine. But yeah, sure, when it works it really rocks! It's absolutely one of the fastest http-serving servers I've ever seen (ok, I haven't seen that many but anyway) and the oracle-db pl/sql connection is really great - when it works!

I just think we could do the same thing, smaller, faster and more stable. Atleast for Windows NT.

Cheers!
/Charlie