Re: Problem wih Oracle reads from the redo logs.

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:37:32 GMT

Hello Ravi,

Oracle writes to the log files in groups of log blocks. The number of block written in a single write depends on what is available in the log_buffer at the time. On Solaris a log block is just 512 bytes. So Oracle is doing writes of sizes much smaller than your filesystem block size, and they are sync write. To satisfy such a write, the file system layer has to read the target filesystem block, modify it, and then write it back. That is probably where your reads are coming from. The only solution to this prevalent problem is to use raw plexes for you log files.

By the way, striping log files is only of benefit to databases that do large DML operations with very few commits.

Regards,
Steve Adams