Easy question, specify default database

From: <cmcnally_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:20:36 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to use the connect command in SQL plus, as in

connect usernamne/password

I don't want to use

connect username/password_at_tns:oname

since I want this to be generic. The oracle documentation says that I can specify a default database to connect to, but I cannot find how or where to do this. supposedly If I do this I can connect using SQL plus by supplying a valid username and password without the connect string.

Anyone know how?

Thanks in advance
Chris