Re: oracle 8i

From: <jklap_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:31:30 GMT

In article <3714357e.16496961_at_192.86.155.100>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:24:36 GMT, you wrote:
>

> >> 8i doesn't support inheritance, object schemes are somewhat limited (eg you
> >> cannot have embedded collections of collections, you have to use
> >> "references"), schema evolution is severely limited (eg you cannot change
an
> >> object type if there exists tables based on that object type).
> >
> >Is this the same for Oracle 8?
> >I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too.
> >What ARE the differences between Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i? Everything on
> >www.oracle.com and technet primarly talk about 8i, but don't give a
difference
> >matrix.
> >

> goto http://technet.oracle.com. Sign up for a free account. after you have
the
> account, goto "documentation". goto the 8.1.5 docs. read "Getting to Know
> Oracle8i". It has a large section of "new in 8i", pretty much all of the
> technical features of the database that are new in 8i, release 8.1 are
described
> there.

I've been there, I've got a login, and I've read those pages.

Unforunately, they still don't completely answer the question of the differences between 8 and 8i. Sure, they tell you whats new, but they don't tell you whats been taken out. Except for the hint that, for example, the Precompilers have been obsoleted, even though they say they still exist in 8i on other pages.

So, is 8i a branch off the main trunk of 8, or is 8 obsoleted by 8i? That is the future of both 8 and 8i?