Re: oracle 8i

From: <jklap_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:24:36 GMT

> 8i doesn't support inheritance, object schemes are somewhat limited (eg you
> cannot have embedded collections of collections, you have to use
> "references"), schema evolution is severely limited (eg you cannot change an
> object type if there exists tables based on that object type).

Is this the same for Oracle 8?
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too. What ARE the differences between Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i? Everything on www.oracle.com and technet primarly talk about 8i, but don't give a difference matrix.

I've got both Oracle 8.0.x and 8i.1.5 (both yet uninstalled), along with a production system running 7.3.4. We are looking at upgrading the 7.3.4 to 8something, but what 8something?

Trying to figuring out the differences from marketing information really sucks.