Re: Redo group members - are they written to in parallel?

From: <abalbekov_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:59:26 GMT

Actually it depends on OS' ability to do Asinc (or List) I/O. Previuos Solaris versions supported it only for raw devices. Oracle's LGWR (as well as DBWR) tries to make request to OS to write in parallel. This can be seen as 'log file parallel write' in V$SESSION_WAIT, V$SYSTEM_EVENT or V$SYSTEM_EVENT.

On my AIX4.2 box all mirrored log files do have the same timestamps.

Albert

--
Albert Balbekov, Senior Consultant
GRT Inc.

  Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com> wrote:
> Back in the days of Oracle7 v7.1, I was implementing a 7x24 system, and we did
> some testing on Redo Log Members.
>
> When the members were on File Systems, and could not take advantage of Async
> I/O, the time to write to 2 Members over that of one member was approx 2.1 :
1.