ODBC Permissions vs. Application Permissions

From: Louise Weiler <ljweiler_at_nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:55:59 GMT

The following scenario/questions have been posed to our DBA's, and we're all drawing a blank.

The application that I have written creates specific views of the base tables, and then grants a role to a user when the user is created based on the ways they can see the data (views). Then, no matter HOW they access the data (through the application, through SQL*Plus, through Excel using ODBC) they can see and manipulate the same data the same way (i.e., any data they can update through the application they can update through SQL*Plus or Excel).

BUT, what if we want to only let people QUERY through third party products, but still have update/insert/delete capabilities within the application? Is there a way to do this (without doing the set role command within the application)?

Thanks!
Louise