Re: dba_segments

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 06:42:21 +0200

Hi Joe,

dba_segments contains the characteristics of a segment, the physical mapping of a table, an index and so on. A segment can consist of multiple extents, just as a file can consist of multiple extents. dba_segments calculates the number of extents and the sum of all bytes in those extents. So the query below has an unnecessary sum, as dba_segments is already doing that calculation. What you get there, is the segments AAA, BBB,CCC and the total space allocated to them in Megabytes.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA