Re: Create TABLE and initial extent Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:40:40 +0200

Hi Scot,
Oracle has a storage clause per table/index etc. If you don't specify a storage clause at all, the table will be created a) in your default tablespace
b) using whatever default storage options you specified when you created the tablespace.
Many third party software packages don't allow you to specify a storage clause as this is an Oracle specific feature. In that case of course the default storage clause of the tablespace becomes very important. I have seen people dividing their tablespaces according to the size of the object. These tablespace simply have different default storage clauses and no need to specify any storage clause at table creation. So no, if you create a table with an initial extent of 500m and you do it this way
create table emp
(....)
storage (initial 500M next 50m pctincrease 0) tablespace huge.
the 500M will be used for this table only. If you issued this command
create tablespace huge
default storage (initial 500M next 50m pctincrease 1 /* in order to allow for automatic coalescing the tablespace */) and you don't specify an initial extent, the initial extent needed will be derived from the default storage clause.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA