Create TABLE and initial extent Question

From: Scot Needy <sneedy_at_infi.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:14:39 -0400

Hi;

 I have been given conflicting information on the  purpose of the initial extent value when creating  a tablespace. I thought that this value was for  aligning contiguous data if you were about to  do an import.

 ie:
  If I am about to import 500Megs of data into a   new TABLESPACE then I would create an initial extent   close to the size of the data 500M and next extent   size would be in relation to my normal growth.

 I recently read in some documentation that this  initial value is used every time you create a table in  the tablespace. Is this true?

 Any clarification would be a great help.

Thanks
Scot

Scot Needy
Manager - InfiNet Systems Operations