Your suggestion for a good OTN track package for future DBA

From: Christine R Cooper <christine_cooper_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:58:08 -0600

Hello,

I have worked as a UNIX system administrator (Solaris, hp-ux, irix, aix) for 10 years and I would like to "diversify". After exploring the world of NT I have decided that this is not the match for me. I really enjoy working for companies that have large UNIX installations and that deal with large applications and data challenges. I feel that DBA work (oracle in particular) will be a natural progression to my technical skills and my personal interests. I have been thinking about this for about 4 years and was hoping to fall into a position that would allow me to work as a junior DBA but that has not happened so I have decided to become more pro-active.

I am a person who likes to learn by doing. Since my professional life has not allowed me to branch out into oracle administration I feel that I must make an opportunity for myself.

As part of my transition from customer support to system administration I made the investment of a Sun Sparc Classic. Over the years I have added memory and disk to this and it serves as a nice little learning tool for me. I have pulled all the Solaris knowledge out of this guy that I am going to get and would now like to use it as my basis for learning to setup, install, customize, and administer oracle.

I went searching around the oracle web pages and signed up for their developer program that they have. I then proceeded to the web area that talks about the "OTN Technology Tracks". These are different bundles of software that you can buy for $200 each and use to do development (in my case learning).

My problem is that there are a whole bunch of different tool sets out there.

As an oracle DBA which pack would you suggest for someone who wants to become comfortable with installing, customizing, basic usage, and DBA type work. I don't want to buy all of them. The packages are listed below.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Christine Cooper
christine_cooper_at_bigfoot.com

Technology Tracks
From here you can order the technology track of your choice or download without the wait. Please bear with us as not all Oracle products are yet available for download. If you don't find what you're looking for please let us know and we'll alert you as soon as the product becomes available.

Internet Development Tools Order Track ($200US) The Internet Tools Technology Track offers Oracle's modeling, 4GL and Java development tools for Internet and enterprise application development.

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
Oracle Designer 2.1.1
Oracle Developer & Developer Server 2.1 Oracle JDeveloper 1.1

Business Intelligence Tools Order Track ($200US) The Business Intelligence Tools Technology Track offers Oracle's integrated ad hoc query, reporting, data analysis and data mart tools for decision analysis and data warehouse applications.

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
Oracle Discoverer 3.1.25
Oracle Reports 3.0
Oracle Express Server 6.2
Oracle Express Objects 2.2
Oracle Data Mart Suite 2.0

Internet Servers
 Order Track ($200US)
The Internet Servers Technology Tracks offer Oracle's leading data server and application server for cross-platform application development.

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
(Windows NT)

Oracle8i Server 8.1.5
Oracle8 Server/Enterprise Edition 8.0.5 Oracle Web DB 2.05
Oracle Application Server 4.0.7
Oracle Internet Commerce Server 1.1.0.7.5

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
(Sun SPARC Solaris)

Oracle8i Server 8.1.5
Oracle8 Server/Enterprise Edition 8.0.5 Oracle Web DB 2.05
Oracle Developer Server 2.1
Oracle Application Server 4.0.7
Oracle Internet Commerce Server 2.0

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
(Intel)

Oracle8 Server/Enterprise Edition (Netware) 8.0.3 Oracle8 Server/Enterprise Edition (SCO) 8.0.5 Oracle8 Server (Linux) 8.0.5
Web Application Server (Linux) 3.0.2
Web Application Server (SCO) 3.0.2

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INSTALL
HELP INFO DOWNLOAD
(UNIX)

Oracle8 Server Enterprise Edition (HP-UX) 8.0.5
Oracle8 Server Enterprise Edition (AIX) 8.0.5
Oracle8 Server Enterprise Edition (Digital UNIX) 8.0.5
Oracle8 Server (HP-UX) 8.0.4

Oracle8 Server (AIX) 8.0.5
Oracle8 Server (Digital UNIX) 8.0.5
Oracle Application Server (HP-UX) 4.0.7 Web Application Server (AIX) 3.0.1
Web Application Server (Digital UNIX) 3.0.1

Oracle Internet Platform ISV Development Kit Order Track ($200US) Oracle Internet Platform ISV Development Kit consists of APIs, utilities, and best practices--tools that make it easier for you to integrate the Oracle database into your solution. This kit, formerly known as the Oracle8i ISV Development Kit, is particularly useful for ISVs that need to deploy solutions where dedicated IT resources are limited.

PRODUCT VERSION DOC INFO DOWNLOAD
Oracle8 Server 8.0.5
Oracle Internet Platform ISV Development Kit Oracle Migration Workbench Received on Fri Apr 09 1999 - 14:58:08 CDT