Re: stripe size when setting up RAID 0 for oracle

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Apr 1999 17:23:03 GMT

Is your system an OLTP, OLAP, DSS etc...? In Oracle and Unix Performance Tuning by Ahmed Alomari he says that Oracle internal testing shows that stripe sizes or 32k and 64k seem to work well for OLTP and 64K for DSS. He goes on to say that if you are running Solaris with ODS file systems use 56K so the write matches the memory stride.

srutkows_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in article <7eiuve$sb1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> I am creating a few large filesystems on a Sun E3000 using Veritas Volume
> Manager. The filesystems will be used for Oracle. I want to stripe the
data
> across several volumes, but I don't know what to use as the stripe size.
The
> block size we are using for Oracle is 8k, so should we use that for our
stripe
> size? I have found varying recommendations from 4k to 64k as the stripe
size
> and I was wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations given an
Oracle