Re: Why can't SYS user grant privilege on others' tables?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 08:44:40 -0700

It's a security requirement that any user should not be able to grant access to another user's tables to anyone else without being explicitly granted the ability to do so. For example, if user A wanted to grant access to user B's tables to user C, user B would have to grant (level of access) to A with grant option. Then user A would be able to grant user C access to user A's tables, but only at the level of access user A has been granted (select, insert etc.).

From memory, this is a requirement of the C2 security level that standard Oracle operates under. There is a higher security level (B1) that Trusted Oracle runs under, but you don't see much of that.

Of course, it seems pretty silly that a privileged user like SYS can update, delete, drop another user's data, but can't grant access to it without this intermediary step, but hell, we didn't make the rules, we just have to follow them! ;)

HTH Pete

pradyumn_sharma_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> * Using Personal Oracle7, release 7.2.2.3.1. I log on as
> sys/change_on_install, and give the following command:
>
> SQL> grant select on pradyumn.x to system;
> grant select on pradyumn.x to system
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> Why so?

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA