Converting serial number to Oracle date datatype

From: <henrik_m_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 11:34:48 GMT

Hello,

I want to change a serial number to an Oracle date datatype, e.g. the serial number 35079.5 to '15-JAN-1996 12:00'. How is this possible?

I am using MS Excel to display data from a table in an Oracle database. The primary key of the table is a date column which uses timestamps as well as datestamps. Therefore, to locate the exact row in the database corresponding to the row in Excel, I have to convert a serial number to an Oracle date datatype.

The closest thing I have found to solving the problem is using the Julian day format as described in "Oracle7 Server SQL Reference Manual", "Operators, Functions, Expressions, Conditions". However, the conversion only allows integers so it is impossible to include timestamps in the conversion.

Any suggestions?

Henrik