Re: V$ROLLSTAT - Waits

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:22:17 -0500

I cut the following from the Oracle 8 Concepts Manual:

Each rollback segment can handle a fixed number of transactions from one instance. Oracle distributes active transactions across available rollback segments so that all rollback segments are assigned approximately the same number of active transactions. Distribution does not depend on the size of the available rollback segments. Therefore, in environments where all transactions generate the same amount of rollback information, all rollback segments can be the same size. The number of transactions that a rollback segment can handle is an operating system-specific function of the data block size. See your Oracle operating system-specific documentation for more information.

If all the rollback segments are handling their maximum number of active transactions, the next transaction must wait for a rollback to free up.