Re: Index access into Partition View?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:56:09 +0100

Are all the tables identical in structure (including order of columns)

Have you created that view as:

    select * from table1
    union all
    select * from table2
    etc.

Do all the tables have exactly the same sets of indexes.

Do you have 'partition_views_enabled=true' in the init.ora.

If any of our answers are NO, then you do not have a partition view, and Oracle may be instantiating your view as a temporary table before applying the query conditions - hence the tablescans.

If all answers are yes, try the same query but against a single table instead of the whole view - if it ignores the indexes then perhaps the optimiser thinks the index you expect to use is a bad index.

But to answer your question, it should be possible to use indexes to access a partition view.

--

Jonathan Lewis