Re: More online backup questions

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:23:10 -0500

Yes, Oracle writes to the data blocks of the tablespace while it is in backup mode. This is called a 'fuzzy' backup.

When you restore from a hot backup, your data will not be consistent. Your database will not startup until you also 'recover' it.

After the restore of the hot backup data files, you 'recover' the database by using the redo logs (from the archives, if necessary) to roll forward to a point in time where the database is again consistent.

The oldest possible point of consistency is the point-in-time just after the last tablespace was END BACKUP. It there is a chance that you may need to recover to a point-in-time that happened to be in the middle of a hot backup, you will need to restore the prior hot backup and recover forward. So I would never purge my archive log backups until I had at least two backups.

We actually keep our data file backups and our archive log backups for 42 days to allow time to go back to a prior month end.