Re: Restore a single tablespace without recovery?

From: Bass Chorng <bass_at_octel.com>
Date: 7 Apr 1999 23:51:11 GMT

S S Wan (sswan_at_hk.super.net.NOSPAM) wrote:
: You may like the Tablespace Point-In-Time Recovery in Oracle8.

: Malcolm Dunnett <dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca> wrote in message
: news:uJfbSUSodU+G_at_malvm2.mala.bc.ca...
: >
: > I have an Oracle 7.3.2.3 database. The database is being run
: > in archivelog mode. A user messed up some tables
: > and would like to restore them to the state they were in before his
: > changes. All his tables are in a specific tablespace, no other users
: > have data in that tablespace. I have a backup copy of the tablespace.
: > If I take the tablespace offline and replace the datafile with the
: > backup copy Oracle insists on doing media recovery on the tablespace
: > when I try to bring the restored file back on-line. I don't want this
: > in this case because this would just reapply the errors. Is there any way
: > to tell it not to do that? It appears the alternative is to restore
: > the entire database from the backup and use a cancel-based or
: > time-based recovery. What I'd like to do is a time-based recovery of
: > just the affected tablespace, but this does not appear to be an option.
: > If I shut down the instance, restored just this tablespace and then
: > restarted with resetlogs (ie without RECOVERING) would evil things happen?
: >
: > ps. From now on I'll be taking exports of the database as well as
: > tablespace backups so I'll be able to import specific tables when this
: > situation next occurs.
: >

The only way is to restore the whole backup as another instance, export the tables, then import them into the original database.

So called incomplete recovery only applies to the whole instance. You can't do that to a single tablespace.

-Bass Chorng Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 18:51:11 CDT