Re: Backup and Recovery Certification Exam

From: Liz Reen <liz_at_reading.news>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:07:44 -0400

In article <3708f649.255806930_at_news>, rhambley_at_nospam.com says...

> Greetings,
>
> Having just finished the 3rd of 4 OCP exams, I add the following:
>
> I view the OCP exams in a light similar to that of a BS degree from
> college. In that I mean, you paid $ and you may have learned enough
> of the material to pass tests, however may or may not be able to apply
> it in the real world.
>
> OCP certicifiation combined with real world exp is good. Same as BS
> degree with exp.
>
> OCP is at least better than the "Masters of Technology" they offer.
> There you just have to be physically present in all of the classes (no
> tests) and whammo you are a "Master of Technology".
>
> Regards
>
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 01:12:51 +0800, "S S Wan"
> <sswan_at_hongkong.com.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
> >Me too is disappointed by the OCP exams.
> >
> >I am already a Certified DBA. I thought the OCP exam was
> >something like Cisco CCIE, but it in turn is a Microsoft MSCE
> >-- anyone who has the training materials can pass -- no need of
> >in-depth knowledge, no need of real fighting experience.
> >
> >I really doubt how 'representative' it is and why it costs that much.
> >

> >Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote in message
> >> A strange thing happened when I took the exam yesterday. Out of sixty
> >> questions I had read about 10% would be on export/import. And there were
> >> six questions on that topic.
> >> Three of them were specific questions about the "direct" parameter in
> >> export. One question involved "direct" in a more general way. There were
> >> no questions on import. There were no questions on export modes. There
> >> were no questions on complete/cumulative/incremental backups. And there
> >> were no questions on what is exportable. So the test really made no
> >effort
> >> to find out what I knew about export/import.
> >> My guess is that there is a large database of questions on each subject
> >> and a certain number in each area are selected randomly for the test. So
> >> you can get this bunching in certain areas.
> >> Has anyone else had this experience?
> >> If my guess is right, do you think random selection of questions
> >provides

But the fact that some one spent about $10,000 on you does say something. Granted it does not prove that you can do anything.

Liz
--
My real address is L R E E N a t P E R R I E R G R O U P d o t C O M Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 11:07:44 CDT