Re: ORA-12224 and ORA-01031

From: Siphiwe Memela <siphiwe_at_cm.co.za>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 15:16:13 +0200

Thomas Langholen wrote:

> user so he can make tables using CREATE TABLE xxx (this is where I get the
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges error)

You can either grant the user the 'create table' system privilege or grant the 'connect' role. 'Connect' will also give most 'create' privileges like 'create cluster, create synonym, create view, create sequence, create database link' so be careful if you do not want all these privileges.

> Also if I try to connect to the data base using user xxxx pass xxxx
> hoststring ORCL from SQL *Pluss I get the ORA-12224: TNS:no listener error.

Check that the listener is really running by going to the Dos prompt and run the
'lsnrctl80 status' command. I've seen instances where the control panel says an Oracle service is started when infact it failed to start it. You will get errors if your listener is not running, if it is running you will get a line
 like 'orcl has 1 service handler(s)'.

If it is not running check your listener configuration file(listener.ora) and tnsnames.ora and see if the configuration settings for ORCL have been set correctly.

> I can access the data base from both INTERNAL and the user from svrmgr in
> dos.

This is probably because svrmgr does not use the listener.

--
Muziwenkosi Siphiwe Memela <siphiwe_at_cm.co.za> Computer Management Durban, South Africa