Re: Disk Setup for NT 4.0

From: Stephen Gabor <sgabor_at_removethis.jamesway.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:57:39 -0400

We went through a similar thing as part on an ERP implementation.

I can't say enough about the Oracle DBA Handbook, 7.3 edition, by Kevin Loney. The chapter on physical database layout will answer these questions very well.

Briefly, it comes down to balancing the reads and writes from the various files (data, index, rollback, temp, system, etc.). In a RAID 5 you will have multiple reads/writes to every disk for every request. While providing good redundancy performance may suffer with RAID 5. You need to determine which files are busiest, and separate them.

Regards

Stephen