Re: Problems installing Oracle8 server

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 08:34:01 -0700

While a number of people have pointed out that the Oracle Server will run on NT Workstation, I think Sybrand's point could be reworded slightly to be more correct. Would you WANT to run a Production database on anything other than NT Server, which is optimized over the workstation version to do Server work? Probably not. There is more (not much more admittedly, but at least some) that you can do with tuning NT Server to be a database server than you could with NT Workstation. Also, I think (not checked this so I could be wrong) that NT4EE is only viable for Server, so it you want to go up to 3 Gb usable memory, or use MSCS, you'd need the Server version.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA