How to change nls_session_parameters?

From: Andrew Weinstein <andreww_at_anet-dfw.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:40:07 -0500

This is for Oracle 8.0.4 running on NT:

I need to change the default date from "DD-MON-YY" to "YYYY-MM-DD". When I try the following update query:

UPDATE NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS SET VALUE = 'YYYY-MM-DD' WHERE PARAMETER = 'NLS_DATE_FORMAT' I receive the following exception:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02030: can only select from fixed tables/views

I looked through the documentation and it goes through this long involved process with the NLS Configuration utility. "The NLS Configuration Utility is invoked from the command line with the following syntax:
LXBCNF [ORANLS=pathname] [userbootdir=pathname] [DESTDIR=pathname] [HELP=[yes |no]]"

When I do a dir on lxbcnf*.* I don't even get a hit on this file.

Can anyone offer some help on how to change the default date format?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Weinstein
Dallas, TX Received on Tue Apr 06 1999 - 10:40:07 CDT