Newbie - help creating a new database on Oracle 8

From: Paul Davies <cobalt_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:56:28 +0100

Hi

I'm new to Oracle and am trying to create a new database on Oracle 8 on Linux.

The database creation process appears to go according to plan.

But when I log on to sqlplus (i've changed ORACLE_SID to reflect the new database) the following happens

[oracle_at_localhost dbs]$ sqlplus SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL

SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on Tue Apr 6 14:47:23 1999

(c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-06553: PLS-213: package STANDARD not accessible

Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO ERROR:
ORA-06553: PLS-213: package STANDARD not accessible

Connected to:
Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production

SQL>

Also trying to select * from dictionary brings up a message saying "table or view does not exist".

Can someone please tell me why I am getting these error messages and why the dict tables have not been created?

Thanks

Paul Received on Mon Apr 05 1999 - 08:56:28 CDT