Re: newbie creating new database-HELP!

From: Calvin Cheong <pohkuanc_at_xoommail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 02:37:30 GMT

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:51:57 -0700, "vance" <cybermunk_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>i'm on linux. all environement variables are set. have my crdb.sql done
>and my init.ora and my config.ora files all written.
>
>i then log into the server manager.
>
>then i connect internal.
>
>then i try the command "startup nomount" and get the following error:
>
>ORA-00443 background process "PMON" did not start
>ORA-009922 background log directory not created properly
>Linux Error 2: no such file for directory
>
>i can see what the problem is, but any idea what file or directory is
>missing? what do i need to fix?

suggest that you start with resolving these 2 errors.

00443, 00000, "background process \"%s\" did not start" // *Cause: The specified process did not start. // *Action: Ensure that the executable image is in the correct place with
// the correct protections, and that there is enough memory.

09922, 00000, "Can't spawn process - background log directory not created proper
ly"
// *Cause: ORACLE was unable to spawn a background process because the

//          directory that will hold trace files of the background
//          processes was not created properly.
// *Action: Examine the directory pointed to by the initialization
//          parameter "background_dump_dest". Make sure that all of
the
//          following is true:
//          1. The directory exists.
//          2. The name indeed points to a directory, and is not a
file.
//          3. The directory is accessible and writable to the ORACLE
user. Received on Mon Apr 05 1999 - 21:37:30 CDT