Suggested Hardware Requirements

From: Known1 <schultznw_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:51:12 -0500

Hi I'm new to the group and have a quick question.

I am attempting to spec. out a hardware requirement to Oracle 7.3.x running on an NT 4.0 box. Usually my company uses sparc servers for Oracle7 Server. However, we are forced to go with NT at the customers request.

The schema the server will need to support will be approximately 250M without any data in it. This is due largely to the fact that our db has hundreds of built in stored procedures created with PL-SQL, we also incorporate megs upon megs of BLOBS within our schema.

The question is, if I want Oracle7 to scream on an NT box with approximately 100 concurrent users what do I need for hardware?

I was thinking about that NUMA-Q sequent server that Intel recently tested. Only problem is that runs about $12,000,000. Plus I doubt that I need 1300 hard disks, 15 NICs, 64 processors, and 64G of RAM. Sure this might be ideal...but I'm looking for a quality server for about 1/1000 the cost.

Would a dual processor Xeon, 1 G. of RAM, 3 9G UW SCSI drives running RAID 5 be good for starters...or do I need more? Received on Mon Apr 05 1999 - 13:51:12 CDT