Re: OAS 4.0.7 on NT4 and Virtual Memory Errors

From: Joe Kazimierczyk <kazimiej_at_bms.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 09:28:53 -0400

Reviving an old thread....

We have ORA 4.0.7 running on Solaris 2.6. It was frequently complaining about OWS-04770 'host running out of virtual memory', even though there was plenty of free vm on the system: 500Mb swap free, plus some free real memory. We are only using OAS with the pl/sql cartridge, using 7.2 and 7.3 databases.

After working with Oracle support on this for some time, I ended up disabling NIS on this machine, reinstalling OAS, and re-doing our site configuration from scratch. The OWS-04770 errors have not returned, and I've tried very hard to put a high memory load on this box. Oracle support tells me that there are 'many issues' with running OAS and NIS on the same box, and that OAS works better with DNS. To be honest, I didn't believe them at first, but it does seem to fix our problem. I'm still not clear on whether there is a problem with OAS running on a box witb NIS installed, or if the real problem is that the installer makes some bad decisions when it finds NIS on the system - it seems to build the NIS domain name into many files, and doesn't give you a choice upon install.

Another group at our company had been using OAS407 for some time without any problems. It turns out that they don't use NIS at all, and use DNS instead. I'd be interested in other people's experiences.

Joe Kazimierczyk
Bristol-Myers Squibb
kazimiej_at_bms.com