Re: Want to clarify some concept about temp segment

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:49:20 +0200

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Eric wrote in message <7ea73k$3n4$1_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>...
>Some confusing on temp segment, could anyone clarify for me,
>
>1. If a temp segment is using by one transaction, is it possible another
>transaction will try to use the same tmp segment?

Not if the tablespace the segment is residing in is a permanent one. A new temporary segment will be created. If the tablespace is a non-permanent temporary tablespace (ie it has been dedicated to temporary segments only), temporary segments will function like rollback segments: a second segment is allocated in the already existing segment

>2. Is there anything about contention of temp segment?

AFAIK no

>3. If a single temp segment occupied almost most the space of the tempoary
>tablespace. Is it possible that another transaction can not proceed due to
>lack of space to have another temp segment.

O definitely!