Re: ArchiveMode and log_archive_start Questions

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 23:26:03 GMT

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:09:43 -0500, Dave B <davebiduk_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Two Questions on Redo Logs and Archive Redo Logs:
>
>(1) On my instance, the log mode is ARCHIVE but the log_archive_start is
>set to false. The log files weren't being archived. How is the ARCHIVE
>mode and the log_archive_start parameter related and how can the mode be
>ARCHIVE when it doesn't archive the log files automatically?

It's just because Oracle designed things that way. The way you are running requires you to manually archive the log files. Now why in the world you would want to manually do that, I have no idea. Perhaps there is some historical reason, and someone who has worked with Oracle longer than I have might be able to explain it.

>(2) Why on earth would anybody run in NOARCHIVEMODE

I manage several development and test databases that run in noarchivelogmode. I work with several clients who do the same thing, and one even runs some production databases that way. In the case of our development databases, we just decided that we could easily accept the loss of one day's data. It isn't worth the time and effort to manage archive log files. In the case of my client, they decided the same thing for some of their production databases. I'm not sure that I would agree with their decision, but it is their's to make.

>and why is it the
>default for the ORCL database?

Not sure. It's probably easier to create one with archive log mode initially off. I always start that way. Maybe it's the default because of historical precedant. Maybe it's the default because it is the zero maintenance option.

>Doesn't this mean you have to constantly
>manually archive the log files yourself?

No. You should probably set log_archive_start=true, and turn the archiver on. Alternatively, you can turn archive log mode off. See below.

>Is there a way to tell the log
>files to overwrite themselves without needing to be archived?
Yes, issue the ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG command. You have to start the databsae with NOMOUNT to do this.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Sat Apr 03 1999 - 17:26:03 CST