Re: oracle 8i

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:20:28 +0100

Lilia Drouot wrote in message <3704DF98.B6DD093D_at_commutation.net>...
>Hello,
>I intend to port an application from ObjectStore (wich is an ODBMS) to
>Oracle8 or Oracle8i. I am new in Oracle technology. Does anybody know if
>Oracle8i includes some object features such as inheritence, object
>scheme,...
>Thanks in advance!
>Lilia

8i doesn't support inheritance, object schemes are somewhat limited (eg you cannot have embedded collections of collections, you have to use "references"), schema evolution is severely limited (eg you cannot change an object type if there exists tables based on that object type).

If you have written your application in C++ you will have to take a look at the Object Type Translator that creates a C++ mapping for a given object type in Oracle.

Hope this helps.

Finn Received on Sat Apr 03 1999 - 04:20:28 CST