Oracle parallel query on windows NT

From: <juliay_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:53:41 GMT

We have an Oracle 8.0.4 database running on a Wondows NT Server with 4 CPU processors. when we run queries on this machines, we can see through Task Manager on Windows NT that only one CPU is utilized, the other three CPUs are idle.

We did the following approachs to try to improve the performance, but did not get a better results,

  1. changed some parameters in the init file, like CPU_COUNT, PARALLEL_MIN_SERVERS, PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS
  2. run the qery with many different hints, like SELECT /*+ ALL_ROWS */ SELECT /*+ INDEX_FFS ... +/ SELECT /*+ FULL(...) PARALLEL(table1,8, default) */ SELECT /*+ PARALLEL_INDEX...*/
Would anyone has ever encountered the same situation or anyone has a clue about how oracle takes the adventage of multiple CPUs to improve the performance ? Or maybe someone knows a good book or documentaion related to this issue....

We appreciate your help !

-Julia Yang

http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own Received on Fri Apr 02 1999 - 16:53:41 CST